Forthcoming training: all our training events are held online. Once things return to normal we’ll be doing in-person training again but will also continue to offer online training. Check out the short video below for a little sample of how it works.
To view the current list of courses, and to make a booking, please head straight to our Eventbrite booking page.
The training we offer is focused on GIS and spatial data analysis and is aimed at non-specialists. We mainly use QGIS because it’s free, open source software and very powerful. It is also capable of producing beautiful, informative maps that can help us understand the world better and communicate ideas more clearly.
Some examples of the training sessions we run are given below. We can also offer training on other packages, as required (e.g. Aerialod). Alasdair leads the training sessions and has previously delivered them for a range of organisations, including the BBC, Savills, Google, Regeneris and the Financial Times.
- Making meaningful maps with QGIS (our standard one day intro)
- Taking QGIS to the next level (for people with prior experience)
- Designing high impact maps in QGIS (focused on design, styling, layout)
- Making animated maps with QGIS (e.g. gifs, mp4s and more)
- An introduction to Aerialod (for 3D maps and visuals)
- Other courses – we also offer more tailored courses for (e.g.) data journalists working in busy newsrooms and topics such as web mapping and travel time analysis (e.g. with the iGeolise TravelTime platform)
These training sessions can be delivered online or in person (once Covid-19 is over). We normally deliver these courses on site, for up to 12 participants, and have also done one-to-one sessions. We have given training sessions at multiple location across the UK, including central London, Manchester and Sheffield.
Previous attendees have included participants with no GIS experience, as well as users of other GIS software. QGIS runs on Windows, Mac and Linux and is behind much of the cutting-edge mapping and spatial analysis you see online and in print today.
Just get in touch via the Contact page if you would like to arrange some training for your company.